Skip to main content

A Summary of Day 11 of K2’s volunteering project in Nepal from worker Emma Kerslake

It was a rough morning for the volunteers as some of the team were struggling with sickness. But, in true K2 fashion, we powered through and started our trek up to the school. Some took the steep steps, while others took the longer scenic route, capturing morning glimpses of the Annapurna mountain range.

After arriving, we quickly began to clear the two classrooms of all materials and it was then time to scrape and sand the walls, ahead of the priming paint going onto the walls.

After a quick lunch of, would you believe, good old past and chips, to give the team some much needed energy, it was back to work. The afternoon consisted of getting the first coats of paint across the walls and the interior and exterior windows.

At 4pm, the school bell rang and it was tools down for the workers and time to head back to the guest house. Some of the team had local children walk back with them who were very inquisitive and full of questions.

A chilled evening and a very early night awaited (complete with hot ginger tea!) as the team got ready for their final day of work.


A Summary of Day 11 of K2’s volunteering project in Nepal from walker Natasha Wannenburg

As the big day arrived, we all set off extremely excited and so ready to reach our long awaited destination.

We set off from Gorakshep to Everest Base Camp, and oh did we underestimate how cold it would be!

The wind picked up quite a lot and proved to us how cold Nepal could truly be.

The walk to base camp was a rocky trail with boulders upon boulders and some very narrow paths. We also walked on top of a glacier to reach Base Camp.

Upon reaching Base Camp, we were all overwhelmed with a lot of emotions as we were able to achieve this amazing goal, together as a team!

Whilst embracing and congratulating one another, we realised how proud we truly are, as despite all the illnesses and difficulties we went through, every single team member made it to Base Camp!

After taking some beautiful pictures, we set back on a long walk to Loboche where we will be staying for the night, and resting up for our trek tomorrow to Pangboche.

A very eventful day left most of us really tired and ready for bed, but not to forget, that we still have our trek awaiting us, back to Lukla.